Have you ever wondered how ridiculous people look when standing attached to a wall by a cord while listening to music on their cordless earphones or portable speakers? If by any chance, you are thinking the person I am talking about is tied to the wall by hooks and cords or somehow stuck, then let me make things clearer. The person in this story is simply drying their hair with a hairdryer.
For the frequent traveler, adventurous campers, someone always in a hurry with no time to waste or simply someone who wants the freedom of doing their hair right next to the mirror, at any spot of their house, a simple cord can be a huge disturbance.
- Cordless Hair Dryer – Buyer’s Guide
- The 5 Best Proposed Cordless Hair Dryers
- 1. LXB Wireless Portable Hair Dryer – Best for Hours and Hours of Continues Airflow
- 2. Vloxo Cordless Portable Dc Hair Dryer – for Safe Yet Effective Hair Drying
- 3. SCNVO Outdoor Cordless Hair Dryer – For men and Children
- 4. Budget-Friendly Cordless Hair Dryer by Evertop
- 5. FreeDryer Cordless Hair Dryer – Multi-purpose hair dryer with its own charging unit
- Alternative Solutions
A Quick Review
|LXB Wireless Portable Hair Dryer |
|Vloxo Cordless Portable Dc Hair Dryer|
|Scnvo Outdoor Cordless Hair Dryer|
|Evertop Cordless Hair Dryer|
|Freedryer Cordless Hair Dryer|
Cordless Hair Dryer – Buyer’s Guide
Problems of a conventional hair dryer
If you still think a wire is really, not that much of a significant inconvenience, then consider these points:
Traveling light becomes a difficult task
The weight of a normal hair dryer is on average 2 pounds. Don’t forget the additional room the wires and adapters for wall sockets.
You can skip blow-drying your hair when camping
when going on adventures like camping and overnight hiking, a convenient power outlet is not easy to find.
Using up a large amount of electricity
A hair dryer is one of the most power-consuming electrical tools, a general hair dryer will take up from 1900 watts to 2400 watts. Depending on the duration and settings you use, it can significantly contribute to your utility bill.
Exposure to EMF
All electric appliances once plugged in, has their electric and magnetic fields (EMF) that radiate energy, this energy interrupts the natural EMF that we have as humans. This is said to have a negative effect on our immune system and overall health. Normal hair dryer uses a large amount of electricity and they are held very close to our body when in use, this intensifies the exposure of EMF.
Safety becomes an issue
Most people use hair dryers in the bathroom because of the convenient proximity of the power outlet and the mirror. However, this is dangerous since water conducts electricity and faulty wires can cause serious electric shock.
There are many things that restrict our freedom, for example, responsibilities, fears, insecurities, etc., however, a cord does not have to be one of them. The point of this overly dramatic statement is that there is a solution to all these discussed problems which is, a cordless hair dryer.
What is a cordless hair dryer?
Just like the name suggests, these are hair dryers that do not come with a cord and so we do not have to plug it in for use. We could also call them battery-powered hair dryers because the main source of power comes from a rechargeable battery that is either built-in or one that is removable.
These hair dryers are built for:
- People who want mobility and flexibility when using a hair dryer. So, it is perfect for travelers, who want to travel light or may need to use different voltages without the added weight of adapters.
- For campers, who may not always have access to a convenient power outlet.
- People with short hair, who don’t require that much power and would like to use a hair dryer wherever they want.
- Men, who generally have short hair and who require little time for drying and styling their hair.
- Kids and pets, since we would require mobility and extra safety.
How are they different from normal hair dryers?
They are Battery-powered
Most commonly used is lithium-ion batteries. Lithium is the lightest of all metals and it is very reactive, which means a lot of energy can be stored in it.
These batteries also have a low self-discharge rate meaning they do not lose their charge over time as fast as other rechargeable cells. However, the duration of use and heat needs to be controlled since overheating can cause it to malfunction.
They use DC motors
Conventional hair dryers use motors that use AC (Alternative Current) but wireless ones usually use DC (Direct current).
Because of this, the motor of the wireless dryer is lighter in weight but they also produce less powerful airflow and less intense heat.
They need to be charged
The battery needs to be charged. It is either external, which means you will be able to take it out and charge it, so having two will allow us to use one while charging the other. Or it could be internal, which means the battery is built-in and you would need to attach it to a power supply to charge it up.
What are the key benefits of a wireless hair dryer?
We can be near the mirror; we can be multi-tasking like reading our emails while we are drying our hair. Since it is lightweight it will also not cause arm fatigue. We also do not need to be in the musky humid bathroom right after a shower to style our hair.
A power outlet is not a necessity anymore. We also do not need a special dual-voltage hair dryer, since we don’t have to be connected to the power outlet.
Cordless hair dryers use up around 400 watts, which is less comparatively and we don’t have to use it while its connected to power this results in lower exposure to EMF radiation.
Easy to use and lightweight
A cordless dryer can weigh from 0.8 to 1.2 pounds. They are very simple to use with minimal features that allow you to adjust the flow and the temperature. Many of them are foldable as well.
What are the important features in a cordless hair dryer?
You need to make sure that the hair dryer is running long enough for you to finish drying and styling your hair, a single charge should last you long enough to at least get your daily hair routine done. Remember that, using the dryer on full heat setting will drain the battery more.
Typical running time: On Average, we need at least 30 mins (15 mins for drying and 15 mins for styling), now this will vary depending on hair thickness and length.
we can either get a wireless hair dryer that has a fast-charging feature or we can use replaceable batteries. So, we can replace the battery and charge it up, while the other one is being used.
Usual Charging time: Around 3 hours
The DC motor being light has allowed the hair dryers to be lightweight and suitable for carrying around when traveling.
Expected Weight: Less than 2 pounds.
The power will determine the battery size and thus the weight and bulkiness of the hair dryer. If you need more heat and faster drying, then a higher power is suitable. If you have short or fine hair that doesn’t need a long time to dry or if you don’t prefer the high heat setting then, lower power can satisfy your need.
Typical Power usage: Around 400 watts.
While the features mentioned are sufficient, there may be other special features that you may want in your cordless dryer are:
Ionic hair dryers release negative ions that react and break down the water molecules into wet hair. This ensures faster drying and removes frizz to make the hair smooth and sleek.
Cool shot button
The cool shot seals the hair cuticles, it adds shine and makes all hairstyles longer lasting.
The energy emitted by an electromagnetic field of hair dryers can be very damaging to our immune system and health in general. Thus, it is a sought-after feature in all dryers.
We can use many kinds of attachments. For instance, a diffuser spreads out the air and heat over a wide area and this allows us to maintain curls, bounce, and volume in the hair.
A concentrator focuses the air and heat in one place, so this is used to smooth down frizz and straighten hair.
What are the drawbacks?
A dc motor produces less powerful airflow and so you can’t really do a salon-grade blowout.
A single charge will last you for a limited amount of time and so, to truly stay away from any power outlet even for charging, we need to keep our usage time to a minimum.
Not suitable for coarse/thick hair
Thicker hair takes a longer time to dry and so it is highly likely that we would need longer usage time thus too frequent charging sessions.
If we overcharge our lithium batteries or the battery somehow gets overheated, it is a possibility that the battery will malfunction.
Using the dryer on high heat will use up more power and the battery will run out of charge faster. Moreover, these dryers are not likely to heat up air as hot as normal hair dryers because they use less power or wattage.
Now that we have a better idea of how to judge a cordless hair dryer, let’s have look at some of the options that are available in the market.
The products mentioned below, are all cordless hair dryers that are especially good for travelers and are made to accompany you on your adventures outdoors. All of them use lithium-ion batteries and use DC motor, this makes them all lightweight and travel- friendly. Apart from this, each has its unique features that are discussed below:
The 5 Best Proposed Cordless Hair Dryers
1. LXB Wireless Portable Hair Dryer – Best for Hours and Hours of Continues Airflow
When you are traveling, camping or hiking in remote areas, it’s very natural that you would want a hair dryer that operates continuously for a long period of time and doesn’t need frequent charging; and keeping in mind about such requirement, we included this LXB wireless blow dryer in this list that not only blows air for several hours but also helps to dry your hair locks quickly and conveniently anywhere and everywhere you travel.
With a full charging of 4 hours, this cordless hairdryer blows both hot and cold air for more than 3 hours continuously which makes sure that you can use it for 4 days (1 hour each day approximately) without worrying about charging it or finding an electrical port. Additionally, as the battery is removable, you can charge an extra battery and use it whenever one battery runs out of power.
Another great feature of this long-operating battery is that, aside from using it for the dryer, you can also use it as a power source to charge your mobile phone when you are camping at an isolated destination. The USB interface at the bottom of the battery acts as a port for your phone charging for maximum convenience.
Features Good for Children
- The cold airflow of this frying tool made it super suitable to use on babies as the cold air doesn’t expose your child’s hair and delicate scalp to any unwanted harm and damage.
- At 9 x 7.8 inches dimensions, this battery-operated blow dryer is incredibly compact and therefore, easily fits in without taking a lot of space in your luggage or even your vanity bag for easy traveling.
- With a weight of 1.2 pounds, this drying tool is quite lightweight and can be carried around with you effortlessly.
- This LXB Wireless hair dryer comes with a dual voltage feature that makes it suitable to use internationally without any extra voltage converter.
Features We Love
- This hair drying tool comes with a powerful motor of 450 watts that blows air at a high speed to make sure that your tresses are dried quickly and precisely; such powerful motor ensures that you don’t waste much time grooming your hair locks when you are on an adventurous trip.
- LXB included a detachable concentrator nozzle with this dryer to provide its users with choices for styling versatility.
- Additionally, to assure the user’s freedom of choice, this blow dryer provides both cool and hot airflow so that you can choose according to your preference; hot air delivers a very quick drying result whereas cold wind ensures safe and effective blow dries.
- Comes with a conveniently placed on/off rocker switch to make sure that you don’t accidentally turn on/off the dryer.
- As the battery is detachable, it saves energy, extends the machine’s service life and also ensures the durability of the battery.
- Furthermore, there is a USB power save switch incorporated in this dryer that also helps to save energy to prolong the battery life.
- This hair dryer comes with a removable air duct so that you can clean it whenever you wish to extend its operating life even more.
- LXB backs up this tool with a service life of 3 years to ensure quality and phenomenal service.
- LXB didn’t introduce the EMF-free feature in this battery-operated blow dryer to provide better safety measures to its users.
Our Final Verdict
Even though this wireless hair dryer comes with quite a hefty price tag, it is worth every penny you spend because of its amazing features and services. With this drying tool in your luggage, you can be totally worry-free about drying your hair locks even in the most remote place without any electricity as it operates for a phenomenal amount of time with just one charge.
Therefore, we would suggest you ignore the price tag and try this tool even for once; we can assure you that you won’t be disheartened with its wonderful services and excellent usefulness.
2. Vloxo Cordless Portable Dc Hair Dryer – for Safe Yet Effective Hair Drying
The reason this VLOXO blow dryer grabbed a position in our list is that it comes with all the features we look for in a battery-operated hair dryer, plus it dries your hair locks safely yet effectively so that you can rock a head full of blow-dried manes even when you are traveling, camping or hiking.
We are labeling this wireless blow dryer as one of the safest option because it produces only cold air and even though cold wind requires a bit more time to dry your tresses as precisely and effectively as hot air, we still recommend it as it is extremely gentle and doesn’t expose your delicate manes to any potential heat burns and damages.
Moreover, aside from being excellent for outdoor activities, this drying tool is also the perfect choice for your babies as it’s cool airflow not only dry the hairs properly (making sure that they don’t catch a cold because of wet tresses) but at the same time also ensures that there is zero chance of burning their delicate, sensitive manes and scalp due to high heat. Also, the mild airflow of this dryer tool is extremely harmless and is committed to not expose your brain or ears to any kind of disturbance or damage.
Additionally, the 32 Watt DC motor incorporated in this dryer not only ensures great service but at the same time also operates quietly so that there is zero disturbance to your (as well as your baby’s) ears.
Features Good for Children & Sensitive Hair
- Cold air, lower heat level and overheat protection assures that this dryer is gentle on your (as well as your kids) scalp and hair.
- The foldable handle and compact dimensions (8.9 x 5.7 x 3.4 inches) make sure that this blow dryer takes a very little space in your luggage for easy traveling.
- At 0.76 pounds of weight, this drying tool is super lightweight and hence, extremely easy to carry and maneuver.
- Because of its lightweight and compact size, you can also carry it inside your vanity bag effortlessly to anywhere and everywhere you go.
Features We Love
- The tool comes with a temperature regulation pulley to change between the wind level easily without any complications; just slide up/down the pulley to select your preferred wind speed for blow-drying your manes.
- The overheat protection (turns off the power automatically when the machine is overheated) feature makes this tool super safe to use.
- With 3 hours of charging (full charge), you can use is hairdryer for 35 minutes continuously, which is enough to dry and style your tresses perfectly without having even a single wet strand.
- Moreover, by providing 3X frizz control, this amazing cordless drying tool makes sure that your precious hair locks remain silky, smooth and manageable without any frizz and flyaways.
- The charger that is included with this blow dryer comes with dual voltage feature and therefore, can be used in international destinations also.
- It is also suitable to use on pets, oil paintings and men’s tresses.
- This tool is not EMF-free, which means that there is electromagnetic diffusion from the battery which has the potential to cause some damaging effects to the immune system.
- Furthermore, you are not allowed to dry your manes while the unit is still charging; this means that you must wait for 3 long hours (the charging time) before you can use it for the drying or styling purpose.
- VLOXO didn’t include any diffuser or concentrator nozzle with this hairdryer for better styling convenience. But if you wish to carry an extra piece of attachment while you travel, then we would suggest you this Yosoo Hair Dryer Diffuser and/or the NZ3 Smart Nozzle Universal 3-way Adjustable Nozzle according to your styling requirement.
Our Final Verdict
This VLOXO Cordless hairdryer is an amazing hair styling tool that meets up with your versatile drying needs completely; from drying your adult hair locks to using it on your baby and pet, this unit is perfect for every drying needs of yours at a very budget-friendly price tag.
In one word, it is a great combination of workability, power, and price that won’t disappoint you a bit.
3. SCNVO Outdoor Cordless Hair Dryer – For Men and Children
The product is mainly for people with short or fine hair, so it is perfect for men’s and children’s hair because it is usually short and they do not necessarily require high temperature and high-pressure airflow to dry and style their hair.
It is also especially good for children’s hair due to its safety features as well. In the case of women or people with long hair, you have the option of adding an extra battery for more power.
Apart from these categories, depending on your needs, this hair dryer can be very useful for travelers and campers that enjoy outdoor activities like swimming and hiking.
Features good for children and fine hair
- EMF free
- Mild wind and lower temperature are gentler on the scalp and hair.
- Uses lightweight DC motor and has an overall weight of 1.9 pounds.
- Rechargeable battery that can be detached. (Allows us to carry extra batteries for backup)
Features to love
- Come with a concentrator attachment
- The battery can be used as a power bank to charge your phone
- Long working time: Hot air can be used for 20 mins and then cold air can be used for another 20mins. Can be used for 4-5 hours if only cold air is used.
- People with long hair can use it but an additional battery is required.
- Long charging time which is 3.5 hours
- Lighter than normal hair dryer but a bit heavier than other cordless dryers.
- Comparatively expensive and additional cost for people with long hair, to purchase additional batteries.
A reliable, good quality cordless hair dryer. It is a very effective product for people with fine hair and a safe one for children with surprisingly long running time and other multifunctional use. It is also particularly useful for men who usually have short hair do not require a long usage time.
This option is a good balance between the three; it checks all the required features and is a reliable, all-around cordless hair dryer.
4. Budget-Friendly Cordless Hair Dryer by Evertop
A simplistic cordless dryer for travel junkies that want the bare-essentials and want to stay on a tight budget. This dryer has all the features you need, nothing more and nothing less. Just what backpackers, campers, and travelers blinded by wanderlust need.
- Folding handle
- Very lightweight at 0.77 pound
Things to love
- EMF free
- Cold switch feature for locking in frizz
- Super-Wind feature: Can produce powerful wind.
- Comparatively cheap as the usual price is over $100 and it is under $75
No hot air so drying may take a bit longer and cannot be used to straighten or curl.
Charging time of 3 hours but running time of only 30 mins.
If you want a cordless device to only dry your hair and don’t have any other requirement then this is perfect. Since the running time is 30 mins on only cold air setting, hair styling isn’t really an option. However, this is suitable for people who are very concerned about heat damage and want to avoid heat completely.
This option is for extremely light packers and people who prefer the simplicity and minimalistic approach without any extra frills. It is most suitable for frizzy hair as it has a cool switch.
5. FreeDryer Cordless Hair Dryer – Multi-purpose hair dryer with its own charging unit
This product is a classic as it claims to be the world’s first cordless hair dryer. This innovation is perfect for anyone or a scenario that requires blow drying without a power outlet nearby.
It is several uses such as, for campers, babies, pets even make-up artist who uses it to dry latex glue when doing special effects make up.
Things to love
- Comes with its own charging unit
- Can be used with two removable batteries, so one can be used while the other is charging
- EMR free, so safe it claims to be even safe than water
- Charging time is 4 hours which is comparatively very long. So very frequent charging is required.
- Running time of only 15 mins of hot air and 7 mins of cold air.
- Bulky since the charging unit will need to be carried around as well. The dryer weighs 1 pound and along with two batteries and a charging unit, it would take up quite some space in your luggage.
It’s a classic and has its charm; however, the combination of high charging time and low running time can become very difficult when traveling. It requires very frequently charging batteries and the charging unit needs to be charged by a cord so, in a way, this can make us feel that we are still not fully cordless.
This option is a classic choice that is for people who prefer having two batteries with their own charging unit and those who require a hair dryer for short periods of time.
Each of the wireless hair dryers attracts people with different perspectives. They deliver as a way for us to detach ourselves and feel the freedom of not having to endure the problems that come with using a normal hairdryer in certain circumstances. It’s good to know that, we have options that can make styling and dry our hair much easier when traveling, camping, hiking, using a hair dryer on our children and pets or any other reason.
Apart from a cordless hair dryer, there are other solutions that can give you a similar solution to your problems:
Travel hair dryers
If finding an electrical output is not a problem for you, then travel hair dryer is a great choice for travelers.
What makes it a good alternative?
- It does come with dual voltage feature
- They are lightweight, compact and sometimes foldable.
- Since it doesn’t depend on a battery, no charging required and running time is unlimited.
- You can use more power as it is connected directly to a power outlet. So, the airflow and heating system will be better.
- Comes with cords
- Uses up more electricity
JINRI Travel Hair Dryer – Powerful and compact with salon-grade features
It’s for anybody who has limited space but wants features as similar as possible to a salon grade hair dryer.
Its compact as it is foldable, very small (size, when folded, is 9.45×5.5×4.72 inch).and it also comes with a removable concentrator. Despite its small size, it has a powerful 1875 Watt motor which produces a lot of heat and creates intense air pressure to dry hair very fast.
- Cool shot button
- Ceramic tourmaline that gives us the ionizing feature that helps create long-lasting and frizz free hairstyles.
- Dual Voltage feature so we can use anywhere in the world.
Hair Dryers with car adapters
These are hair dryers that you can straight up plug into your car. It’s a solution for people on the go.
What makes it a good alternative?
- Many of them are foldable and compact so you can store it in the glove compartment easily.
- It allows us to use a hair dryer on the road so it gives us mobility.
- If you are traveling in an RV or camping out in a van, this is a good solution.
- No external batteries needed
- No need for dual voltage feature
- Comes with cord
- Uses up fuel
RoadPro RPSC-818 12V Hair Dryer – Perfect for short hair
It is for people on the go. It’s for the travelers who prefer to travel around in RVs and vans or simply people who are running late and need to get their look together in their car.
The heat is very minimal, it is warm rather than hot and so it’s more suitable for short hair since longer or coarse hair would require a long time to dry. All we have to do is plug it into the lighter socket/power socket of the vehicle.
- Very lightweight (less than 1 pound) and foldable
- 8-foot cord gives us flexibility.
- Since the heat is warm, we can use it to defrost car windows.